Encounters is the UK’s leading short film, animation and virtual reality festival.
The festival discovers, supports and develops new talent in film-making, providing a platform for emerging and established filmmakers from around the world, and continues to be a unique meeting place for the industry.
The jam-packed programme in September presents a diverse selection of short film screenings, features, special guests, Q&As and headline events, alongside an intensive industry event programme with high level masterclasses and workshops. At the heart of the festival lies the Encounters international competition – one of the world’s leading international competitions for short film, animation and virtual reality, and also an official gateway to the world’s most prestigious awards; the Academy Awards®, BAFTAs and the European Film Awards.
Connecting industry and audiences, the festival celebrates the creativity, diversity and the impact of short film.
The festival has two main festival venues on Bristol’s harbour-side – the main festival hub at Watershed, and the Arnolfini.
The festival will also feature a number of events and masterclasses hosted by a number of our esteemed Animation UK members, as well as a series of informative industry panels and networking opportunities for attendees to gain insights into the Young Audience’s Content Fund, and the new BFI short Form Animation Fund.
- Wednesday 25th 6pm, Watershed – Waterside 3 – BFI Network South West – Works in Progress – BFI NETWORK offers a funding programme that supports projects with directors based in England with up to £15,000 production funding and covers both live action and animation.
- Thursday 26th 2pm, Watershed – Waterside 3 – Young Audiences Content Fund Panel – Representatives of this funding opportunity provide details on how to engage with the fund which seeks to entertain, inform and reflect the experiences of children and young people growing up in the UK today.
- Thursday 26th 5pm, Watershed – The Link – Drinks reception sponsored by BFI Animation Fund – Come and join the BFI Film Fund to celebrate the launch of the new Short Form Animation Fund, with animation delegates, filmmakers and key industry representatives.
- Thursday 26th & Friday 27th, 10:30pm , Watershed – Waterside 3 – Animation Today – Daily open forum hosted by Alex Dudok de Wit for filmmakers and industry to discuss contemporary issues.
- Friday the 27th, 9:30am, Watershed – The Link – Festival Breakfast supported by Animation UK – Animation UK will be sponsoring a breakfast social for members and industry to network and connect, amongst the jam-packed weekend at the festival.
Passes still available to purchase online now
If you are an Animation UK member, contact us to redeem our 50% off Festival Passes exclusive discountMore info